Sunday, April 15, 2007

LOVE, KINDNESS, MATERIALISM

This week's news focused on the suicide of Donni John Duin, an 11-year old boy from Papar, due to abject poverty. The boy hanged himself as he could not take the taunts of his classmates who had laughed at the food he packed or "tapau" from home. The classmates said his food looked like dog's vomit. It's indeed sad that a young life had been taken away due to the insensitivity of young children. I'm sure the reasons ran deeper than that and the taunts were probably the last straw on the poor boy's back. But it's a sad fact that our society is largely a materialistic one. Even children measure their friends by the kind of gadgets their friends have, the clothes their friends wear and even the type of car their parents drive. I'm reminded today in my Sunday School class of this certain boy who constantly caused disruption in my class. I know his mother had abandoned the family for 'greener pastures' and his father is struggling to care for his 4 children. The subject of having a separate bag for SS came up and I asked if they could put their SS stuff in a separate bag. (as they always forget to bring their bibles, their pencils etc) The children agreed but one of the kids commented :" So and So can't because he's too poor". I could see the immediate cloud of embarassment on the boy's face. Poor kid - to be labelled as such. After class, I talked and counselled the boy. I pray that he will remain strong and resilient despite the problems that his family is facing. The church really needs to educate parents to educate their children on love, kindness and materialism.

1 comment:

Serenely said...

Yes... I read that in the Daily Express online last week... very sad indeed!

I hope you managed to give a positive impression on your little boy in the end... words from peers is always a major influence

"Life and death are in the power of the tongue" (Proverbs 18:21)

Words have the power to hurt and to heal