Last night was the hair combing ceremony for Eva. When Alicia first approached me and asked if I would consent to conduct the ceremony, I thought, "Why not? It's just combing a bride-to-be's hair just before her wedding".
However, when the procedures of the ceremony was explained, it turned out to be more complex than just combing hair. It was a beautiful ceremony conducted by the girl's family to bless her before she embarked on another phase of her life.

Three bowls of dessert was prepared for the girl - made up of red dates ( symbolising sweetness); lotus seeds ( for lots of children); and gluttinous rice balls ( reunion and harmony). The girl was to hold on to a mirror as her hair was being combed ( to bless her with a bright future). A ruler was placed near her ( the ruler has the characters to bless her with 100 children and 1,000 grandchildren).
However, when the procedures of the ceremony was explained, it turned out to be more complex than just combing hair. It was a beautiful ceremony conducted by the girl's family to bless her before she embarked on another phase of her life.
Three bowls of dessert was prepared for the girl - made up of red dates ( symbolising sweetness); lotus seeds ( for lots of children); and gluttinous rice balls ( reunion and harmony). The girl was to hold on to a mirror as her hair was being combed ( to bless her with a bright future). A ruler was placed near her ( the ruler has the characters to bless her with 100 children and 1,000 grandchildren).
As the girl's hair was being combed, the 1st blessing was pronounced : I comb your hair from the top to the end - to wish your marriage to last to the end. The 2nd blessing was pronounced : I comb the hair to bless you with love and harmony. The 3rd blessing was pronounced; As I comb your hair, to bless you with lots of children.
After the 3 combings, a spring of cypress leave was pinned to the hair ( tied with red string) to bless the girl with good health. After the ceremony, the girl was supposed to sleep with the spring of cypress leave . Cypress leave was chosen as it does not shed its leaves even in winter, thus signifying evergreen and good health. What a touching ceremony!!
Had I heard of this ceremony nor witnessed it before this, I would have done it for my daughter's wedding. I would have made it even more meaningful and significant so that she will know that she's so much loved by her family. And the father will pray for her too. I can see that Alicia really loved her daughter so much and wished the best for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment