Saturday, September 13, 2008

NEW POSTING

I decided that Sept 12 would be appropriate date to report for duty. Called the Keningau office to inform them. However the day before, someone let slip that there would be a grand welcome planned - with all the works. Alarmed, I called the office and specifically stated that there should be no ceremony - I just wanted to check out the place. They promised to abide by my wishes.
The drive to Keningau was scenic, albeit steep. It evoked memories of our numerous road trips when we were in Australia.
Anyway when we reached the institute, I was surprised to see a huge banner outside the entrance gate and another one at the administration building. Some of the lecturers were at the building to welcome us. I was pleased to see the grounds were well-kept and the buildings have a fresh coat of paint. We entered the director's office - it was huge! Double of what we had in Gaya. There was an attached toilet (Goody!!). Suddenly the enormity of the task hit me! No excuses for not performing. Now that I'm manning this ship, the buck will have to stop at my room (GROAN). For a fleeting moment, I have a feeling of misgiving. What have I landed myself in ? Wouldn't it be easier and more comfortable to have taken the 2nd offer? But I reminded myself why I choose this offer. Some sacrifices have to be made. I hope I can do a good job to bringing the institute to a higher level of academic achievement. I made a mental note of my upcoming speech. God help me!!!!

Discussing with my deputy and the executive officer.
Inspecting the buildings. The lady behind is my new personal assistant.
Inspecting my living quarters
The view from my quarters is fantastic

1 comment:

mamaktua said...

Congratulation and belated Happy Birthday.

Go for it girl, you can do it and make us proud, the Lim and the Lee's reputation is on you!!!