I just returned from a Biro Tatanegara course in Langkawi. I won't bore you with the details. Basically Biro Tatanegara was set up to instill patriotism in citizens. We covered topics like the Federal Constitution, Globalization and the threat of globalization, Finance, Zionism, Malay rights and meritocracy, Islamisation - We were shown video clips of gory images of conflicts and violence ( death, children dying, anguish faces) around the world and constantly posed with questions such as: "Adakah anda mahu ini berlaku di negara kita ?" Now, who in his right mind would want this to happen in his country? We were all inundated with lots of numbers and statistics - and the speaker shouting : "Statistics don't lie!" Questions were encouraged and then discouraged and everyone soon learn to ask the "right questions'" The sessions were informative - except the speakers didn't seem to realise that they were talking to a bunch of educators whom I think, do possess some analytical and critical thinking skills. Ha! Ha! All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the camp.
No comments:
Post a Comment