Last Saturday, at the market, I met a dear old friend whom I have not kept in touch for quite some time. After the usual greetings, our questions turn to the children, "And how are they doing?" As most of our children are overseas, it's inevitable that we would inquire after our loved ones. I smiled bemusedly as she gushed to inform me : "Oh, my first is now working at...... very high pay, ...... my second is now with..... and you know, they're paying........" It seems we measure the success of our children by their paychecks. It's a Malaysian quirk.We Malaysians love to probe and pry into other people's pay checks.
I met the dear old lady again last Wednesday, and boy, she has not changed a bit. However, this time she reveled in telling me how much her sons and daughter are earning. Good for them!! My husband is the only one who can handle her. He used to draw a chair and sit beside her, just to chat, and when she says something controversial, he would just laugh and ask her certain pertinent questions. This would make her pause, and she, realizing she had make certain erroneous statements would then correct herself :"Oh, I don't mean that exactly........perhaps it does not apply to all." Amazing - she still is fond of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment