Tuesday, August 23, 2011

CURRENT READ

The MOE has been gracious in granting us a parting gift to the value of RM400/-. So when the office asked me what I would like to get, I immediately said : "BOOKS." They were surprise : "Books ? Not a watch or some jewellery?" " No, only books," so off we went to the bookstore for my selection.


So now, I have a new collection of rather good books to keep me occupied for the next couple of months. Some people gave me personal gifts of books too and among them was "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. I've wanted to get this book since I watched it on Y-tube. Though battling with pancreatic cancer, he did not give up on living and the Last Lecture was his legacy to his children. As he talked of his life, he slided the values that he wanted his children to hold when they grow up. Many the values he espoused were age-old values which we hold on to - like honesty, sincerity, hard work, not sweating the small stuff....- but he put it across very eloquently


Among the quotes : "We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we played the hand." It's just like If life hand you a lemon, we can make lemonade from it - instead of crying about the unfairness of life. I highly recommend the book.

Oh, this is good too - Sam and Paul's selection from Swan Valley.

No comments: