Sunday, March 17, 2013

CHAPTER 12 - VILLAGE OF MANY BRIDGES

My third uncle once wrote an article in a Chinese newspaper featuring the charms of Sri Gading, He aptly titled it "Village of Many Bridges". Indeed the village grew along the two sides of a river. A narrow road runs parallel to the river. A row of shops was built parallel to the road and another row of shops was built opposite, just alongside the river. Many wooden bridges span the river. In the early days, many young people used to hang around the bridges - courting couples, especially. But today, the bridges have fallen to disrepair.

The well maintained bridges of Sri Gading in the 60s
The dilapidated conditions of the bridges today
This small river is a tributary to a larger river - Sungai Rakyaat which in turn serves as a tributary to the Batu Pahat River. When I was a young girl, Sungai Rakyaat or better known to us as "The Big River", was such a mystery. There was a village beyond and the people there would transport their goods by the river to Sri Gading. They brought bales of rubber, sago and attap. They would dock their sampans at the jetty just in front of Ban Hoe - dad's shop (the company had 4 types of business - grocer, timber, hardware and billiard saloon). Dad would often help the villagers to load and unload their goods. Most of them purchased their provisions from Ban Hoe Trading.
The old shop still standing the test of time.
I was warned not to ever venture beyond the edge of the village. Dire consequences await me if I ever disobey these orders, Dad had a piece of land beyond there but I never did know what the Big River was like..... until this year - almost 60 years later. And I was amazed at the beauty of the place. The Big River was indeed big and the water pristine. If only I could ride a sampan to explore the place....... This place, if properly developed would be an ideal tourist destination - for those who want to savour  the tranquility of kampong life.

Exploring beyond the village (there was no road then)
Sri Gading river meandering towards the Big River
         
Mouth of Sri Gading river leading to the Big River.
Awesome view!!


No comments: