Wednesday, May 08, 2013

CHAPTER 16 : CHILD PLAY

No one would imagine that I was quite a tomboy when I was a young girl.I used to follow my cousin whenever he went - sort of tagged behind him. He was dare daring and adventurous. Thus we went hunting for spiders, catch fish, played with tops, kite flying and even raided our neighbour's orchard for fruits. Read about it  here.

However, sometimes I would play with my girlfriends. For whatever reason, my father and grandmother loved to buy toys for me and my younger brother whenever they received any windfall - cars for the boy and dolls for the girl. Thus all in all, I had 9 dolls. There was a life size baby doll that I named Baby. Then there was a doll with red dress that I named Lily and there was Lulu ..... but my favourite was my own home made paper doll. I drew the image of the doll on a piece of hard cardboard. Then I would draw many different dresses for the doll. Thus I spent many happy hours of imaginative play with my paper dolls.

Another favourite game was five stones. At first my friends and I would scour the village looking for perfect stones. Playing with stones roughened our hands. Later we made cloth bags and filled them with sand. From five stones/bags, we graduated to seven stones/bags.

Yet another favourite was skipping rope. We used to collect rubber bands and weave then to long ropes. The poorer children would have only one rubber band per weave but the better-off children were able to weave two or three rubber bands per weave. Of course the thicker the rubber band rope, the stronger and better the rope would be.

My younger brother was often my playmate in all these games.


2 comments:

Min said...

which younger brother?

Penny152 said...

Your dad