Tuesday, December 03, 2013

THE PUAN SRI WHO WASN'T

Morning jogs are fun. I've now past the threshold of deciding whether to jog or not to jog. So now, three times a week, like an automaton, I would dress up for my morning jogs. You get snatches of conversation as you pass the other joggers. The men would be discussing their prostrate, their cholesterol, their health checks...... while the ladies would often be sharing recipes, holidays, the best buys, and gossips of who's having affair with whom.... (in fact, this morning I just found out So and So's wife had packed up in disgust at her husband's philandering ways and left for Australia). The people are generally friendly and we would be on nodding terms with each other. after making 2 rounds, I would normally join a group for some on-the-spot exercise.

This is a very mixed group - from retirees to Tai Tais to elderly foreigners (mostly Japanese and Koreans and some orang putihs). One lady in particular was extra friendly to me and usually tried to strike a conversation. Today she approached me and the conversation was as follows :

Lady : Excuse me, do you live in Likas? I seem to see you there quite often.
Me    : No, I don't but I do go there sometimes.
Lady : You are Puan Sri Yeo...... yes?
Me    : Oh no, I'm not.
Lady : You related to her ? Sister perhaps? You bear some resemblance to Puan Sri Yeo.... 
Me    : Oh no - mistaken identity 
Lady : Oh sorry. By the way, I'm Angela.... you are Datin........?
Me    : (very amused) Sorry, no Datin  either....

After that she was quiet. Then she spotted a bona fide Datin and edged her way towards Datin. They engaged in some animated conversation and then left our group for breakfast. Hmmm I should have said "I'm not a Datin but a dAtuk " (courtesy of Nathan and Grace) and perhaps earn myself a free cuppa!!

I get that a lot, especially when I was still working. At functions, the usher would usher me : "Datin, sila duduk sini...." People in the ministry whom I met only a few time would address me: "Datin......" and I had to correct them. Surely I don't have a dowager look!!
With the proliferation of datukship, it seemed every 5 people you meet is a datuk and so I would think a datinship is no longer blue chip. Apparently not.

4 comments:

Serenely said...

Hahaha... well she didn't beat about the bush for long about her intentions.

You just have that 'datin' air... and dad always said just a little longer and you might have gained a datukship.

jenQker said...

good on you ma! exercising like a datin. i also better buck up...

Min said...

you definitely have a datin look! like Susan Sarandon! i remember you wore a cheongsam to Serene's wedding and it looked very regal!

Penny152 said...

Ha! Ha! Belaja you all next time.