Tuesday, February 25, 2014

IMPRESSIONS OF CHIANG RAI/CHIANG MAI

My interest in Chiang Mai stemmed from primary school days when I read in the encyclopedia about 'The Rose of the North' to describe Chiang Mai. There were photos of girls making paper umbrellas, photos of elephants and the beautiful scenery of the province. I made a silent wish to be able to visit this beautiful place one day. I wanted to see how the beautiful umbrellas were made. Well now, 50 years later, I finally made it! It was a dream come true. To be able to sit among these beautifully crafted umbrellas ( like the photo in the encyclopedia).
 And to have my bag handpainted by one of the local artists at only RM5.00.......

 To mingle with the long neck Karen tribal girls and watch them weaving.......
 And ride on an elephant and touch its trunk........

 
 To raft down a river, enjoying the scenery, without a care in the world and singing "Row, row, row your boat......"
 To actually stand near the mighty Mekong River and be at the notorious Golden Triangle........
 
To stroll down the street bordering Thailand-Myanmar........
Dad had written extensively about this trip so I shall not replicate. However I just wanted to recall some of my impressions of the place and its people. The Thais are religious people. Everywhere in Northern Thailand, we see shrines, big and small, dedicated to Buddha. Under some trees, at some street corners, in front of shops, next to some buildings, you could see some offerings of fruits and flowers placed at a statue of Buddha. Yet the Thais do not rant about their religion. There were times when we went to a stall and find no one there. A neighbouring stall owner informed us that the proprietor had slipped out to make an offering to some shrine. There's a kind of graciousness in the way they practice their faith.
Another impression I have of the Northern Thais is their gentleness and graciousness in dealing with guests and customers. There is a kind of unhurried placidity in the way they carry out their tasks. Thus even though we were in a crowded market place, the vendors seemed unruffled in the way they carry out their trade.
 
 I was intrigued by the pineapples - only the size of a fist, yet packed with sweetness
 
 We tried new flavours - rice pancakes,
Sticky rice and mangoes
And some notable dishes - Tom Yam soup, pork and egg omlette and green curry
 We had a great time just chilling out - drinking tea at a Rose Garden
 Stopping for a delicious lunch enroute to Cheng Mai
 Finding some surprising good yet cheap food at a small Thai restaurant
Stopping by a stall, just to sample some roasted corn
 Discovering a Teochew restaurant that served suckling pig. Was sister overwhelmed by the food?

This has been one of the most enjoyable trip I've made. I learned so much more about Thai politics, the culture and food, its geography and history and appreciate the Northern Thais up close :
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and to avoid the people, you might better stay at home."  (James Michener)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page." (St. Augustine) 

 One feels more energised when in another country :
'To awake in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensation in the world." (Freya Stark)

1 comment:

Serenely said...

Great summary and round up of the trip! Love the quote too... making me start to itch to travel and wake up in a different place