Thursday, September 11, 2014

A BIT OF CULTURE

What's a trip to London if one doesn't go to one of the theatres? London abounds with theatre - big and small and it would be a pity to let any opportunity to see a show pass. The first show we went was of course "The Mousetrap". in St Martin Theatre House.

Imagine that! St. Martin Theatre House has been running this play non-stop for 62 years. So it it a 'must-see' play. Indeed, the story ended with a surprise twist! I enjoyed the play thoroughly as the story line was quite gripping.
"Phantom of the Opera" is another acclaimed musical. People tell me "Oh, you MUST go and watch 'Phantom of the Opera'. And I went with much anticipation. This was shown in Her Majesty Theatre Haymarket. The Stage effects were dramatic and electrifying - especially the scene when the Chandelier came crashing down. The performance, however was a bit of a letdown. I felt that the actors did not portray the emotions adequately. The 'Phantom' came across as pathetic rather than tragic.There was nothing in the musical to indicate why the Phantom haunted the theatre house. Neither did Christine's fascination and terror of the Phantom come across in her performance.
(A photo moment before the show start)

When I came home, I watch the musical on You-tube. It was version that was performed in Royal Albert Hall. Full 2 1/2 hours. This time I find the performance gripping and moving. The cast was more poised and the story line was better portrayed. And the Phantom's agony of his passion for Christine moved me immensely. Would I watch The Phantom again? Most definitely yes - but with a more stellar cast.
On the 4th day of our trip in London, we had the opportunity of touring the Royal Albert Hall. The Royal Albert Hall is fascinating event centre. It was built by Queen Victoria in honour of her husband Prince Albert. (I do admire Prince Albert. He was very open minded and forward looking for a man in his era,) As no photography is allowed in the hall so you view the images read about its history here
The Proms were in season and we were fortunate to see BBC orchestra getting ready to rehearse.

1 comment:

Serenely said...

They say the first musical you watch will always take first place in your heart, no matter how many other fantastic musicals and plays you will see thereon. I enjoyed Phantom of the Opera too, but it certainly did not move me the way Les Miserables did. Even though it was so many years ago, I was only just in my early teens and we were sitting so far back from the stage. But I guess it shows that a good cast makes a huge difference. Even from our seats way back there in the Kallang Theatre, we were able to feel the emotions and power of their voices reverberate through the entire theatre.