A recent report in the papers stated that more young people are found to be committing crimes. There was a case of a 7-year old boy who bludgeoned a little girl to death - reason ? He saw it being done on TV. Indeed the influence of TV on young minds is undeniable. Children are unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality.


I remember when Serene was very young - maybe about 3 or 4 years old. We were watching Disney cartoon together.The stupid dog, Pluto was trying to steal a bone from Butch. He succeeded but Butch found him out. All hell broke loose and Pluto was chased round the block by the Butch. At this point, tears welled in Serene's eyes, and she started crying. " Mum, make him stop bullying Pluto!" " It's ok," I soothed her. The chase became fierce. Pluto was cornered. Butch came menacingly nearer to Pluto........Serene became frantic and started wailing " No, no, don't do that! Mum make him stop !" I quickly switched off the TV.
Sam was fascinated by a soap powder commercial. Remember "Trojan"? The commercial depicted the father coming home, his clothes stank - the wife was upset. Ordinary soap powder couldn't get rid of the dirt - Then from the sky, a giant Trojan warrior emerged - with a swish of his mighty sword, all the dirt disappeared and the shirt became sparkling white. Whew !! Each time the commercial came on air, Sam would stop whatever he was doing and stared at it. One evening, we were having dinner, the tv was on and that commercial came on air. Sam quickly left the table and ran to the living room. I followed suit. He turned to me and asked in awe " Can he really make the dirt disappear ?" He imitated the swish of the Trojan warrior's sword. " Oh no, Sam. That's only a commercial!" I laughed. But it made me think about the influence of TV on our children's lives. That was why I had to restrict TV time.
Sam was fascinated by a soap powder commercial. Remember "Trojan"? The commercial depicted the father coming home, his clothes stank - the wife was upset. Ordinary soap powder couldn't get rid of the dirt - Then from the sky, a giant Trojan warrior emerged - with a swish of his mighty sword, all the dirt disappeared and the shirt became sparkling white. Whew !! Each time the commercial came on air, Sam would stop whatever he was doing and stared at it. One evening, we were having dinner, the tv was on and that commercial came on air. Sam quickly left the table and ran to the living room. I followed suit. He turned to me and asked in awe " Can he really make the dirt disappear ?" He imitated the swish of the Trojan warrior's sword. " Oh no, Sam. That's only a commercial!" I laughed. But it made me think about the influence of TV on our children's lives. That was why I had to restrict TV time.
When we were shopping in a supermarket, Paul kept on insisting that I buy "Axion" dish cleaning detergent. "Mum, buy this - it's very good" I refused as I knew that it was a lousy product. Each time we went out shopping, he would manoeuvre me to the product but I would always quietly put it back on the shelf. One day, my young lawyer tried a different tactic. "Mum, you always said we should help the servant. Buy this Axion - it will help Agus to wash the dishes better." After much persuasion, I bought the smallest tub available. He couldn't wait to go home. One reaching home, Paul ran to the kitchen "Agus," he called to the maid, " Saya ada satu cuci untuk kau." Then he took out a pot and dab a bit of Axion on it. I watched him. He made another dab and waited. Turning to me he asked : " Where's the wind ?" "What wind ? " " You know, like on TV - you put a bit of Axion and the wind will come and clean up everything." And he made a loud sound, imitating the sound of a tornado. Boy, I burst out in laughter.
"Paul, that's only on TV"
"You mean it doesn't work the same?"
"No. Of course not!"
He was crestfallen.
Fill your children with what's good and wholesome. Let Philippians 4:8-9 be in your thoughts.


1 comment:
Boy,we were fools...real fools... but cute ones...cute fools that is ... we were cute fools.... especially me.
Post a Comment