Friday, July 08, 2005

Da Vinci's Mona Lisa

People are discussing the Da Vinci Code as it it were the gospel truth. So many conspiracy theories. However in an interview with Dan brown, he admitted that he did stretch the truth and cleverly made use of ambiguities to create anticipation and sense of mystery and adventure to get the readers' interest. He's after all, a writer.

I remember when we were young, our uncle brought back a picture of the Mona Lisa and asked us to look at it and give our comments. I stared and stared and couldn't find anything remarkable about her. "She's plain looking and fat" I thought. Not wanting to reveal my ignorance, I feigned interest " She looks interesting......"I said. My uncle gushed " She's reputed to be beautiful. The lady with the mysterious smile. Can you see that ? She smiles, but there's sadness in her eyes. The smile has intrigued men for many centuries." My mum looked at it and hmm, she said, and went about her chores. I stared and stared and tried to 'appreciate' her. She's still as ugly as ever. What kind of beauty is that ? Now in Da Vinci code, the Mona Lisa is said to be a self portriat of Da Vinci himself. It is rumoured Da Vinci was homosexual. Whew !! No wonder I can't appreciate the Mona Lisa. I feel vindicated !!

2 comments:

Serenely said...

Mona lisa, mona lisa, men have named you
You’re so like the lady with the mystic smile

Do you smile to tempt a lover, mona lisa?
Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?

Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep... They just lie there and they die there

Are you warm, are you real, mona lisa?
Or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art?

Serenely said...

I think too many people have made a big deal of this 'masterpiece' at times... they overanalyse the whole thing.

She was probably an ordinary person just like anybody else. Just a lovely work of art by a very talented artist.