Sunday, October 16, 2005

Nehemiah

Did I tell you that I’ve a new bible? We were just strolling and window-shopping in Karamunsing Complex and we passed by Salvation Book Store. Dad says, “Let me get you a new bible since you’ve been complaining about your old one.” So he bought me a NIV bible. All the years, I’ve put up with less than satisfactory bibles because they are around and still usable. My first bible was King James Version – which I liked for its poetic language with its ‘thee’,’ thou’ and ‘doth’. Somehow, it got misplaced. Then I had a version called “The Living Bible”, but it paraphrased too much and rendered the reading of it to one interpretation only. After that the church recommended that everyone should have only one version, that is the New English Bible – and I dutifully bought one. However, I find it a bit too prosaic. So now I have the NIV and I love it !! The language is just beautiful especially if you are reading Psalms. All God’s/Jesus’ direct quotations are printed in red.
I am at present reading Nehemiah – Anyone who wants to do management should read Nehemiah. Like the Chinese military strategist Sun Tze, Nehemiah applied the SWOT analysis in the rebuilding of Jerusalem. First he surveyed the extent of the problem (S- Neh 1 & 2), then he looked at the Strength and Weakness (S-W). He applied whatever Opportunities to his advantage (O -Neh 2) and he took into account the Threats to his project (T- Neh. 4 & 7).
Nehemiah was a visionary leader – he galvanized the Israelites to contribute to the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. He assigned tasks, he delegated responsibilities, he planned with his key men. He choreographed the worship service, even to the last detail. ( read Neh:12: 27-43). It was awesome. He looked at the big picture and the small details. Even when he was busy with the ‘big’ project, he did not forget the poor people in his community and he made provisions for their welfare.(Neh. 5) He carried out social re-engineering of Jerusalem.(Neh 11) He did not compromise with his enemies, neither was he tempted by offers by so-called ‘friends’ (Beware the enemy within) .Most of all, Nehemiah put God first and foremost in all that he does. “Remember me with favor, O my God” There is much to learn from this book.

1 comment:

Serenely said...

You deserve that new bible... after so many years of using cast-off ones around the house, it must be lovely to have a shiny new one! More inspiration?