Saturday, May 13, 2006

Grey's Anatomy

While surfing the channels last night, I came across this medical drama series - Grey's Anatomy. It's about doctors, interns grappling about issues in life while going their rounds and making on the spot medical decisions. How clever! That's called multi-tasking. Why is it that the Chinese doctor - whom I think is the smartest of all, have to be so plain looking? (can't beauty and brains go together?) Racial stereo-typing. Anyway, she did a good job - portraying a smart intern, and not getting the credit for it - the credit goes to this pretty intern - Meredith Grey. However, there's one interesting line this Grey gal said about procrastinating - something we all do because of fear of failure, pain, rejection.. "Sometimes, the fear is just about making a decision, any decision, because, what if you're wrong?" However, the drama ended on a positive note - that even if we commit "the biggest failure...... it beats the hell out of not trying." something that I've been tring to hammer into the heads of my SPM students. Oh something I hadn't noticed or realised - is it true ? Surgeons are the nastiest doctors in the hospital - mean, arrogant - that's the way it is portrayed in this drama series.

1 comment:

SunnyPerth said...

Most surgeons are Ok but some think they are God.I recently encountered one who threw a tantrum. I calmly told him that I will not put up with his tantrum and that he should not bully nurses and patients. He did not expect this reaction from me and was embarrassed. The junior doctors and other nurses were surprised that I "stood up" to him;well that is the beauty of growing older, you do not have to put up with "sh--T"!

Another doctor, a famous physician is known to make nurses and clerical staff cried. My first encounter with him was to introduced myself and stated that I was there to assist him; but I told him that if I have done anything wrong, he is to teach me the right way and not to shout at me. He was stunned; since then there is mutual respect and we get on like house on fire.

These two stories showed you that if you allowed others to bully you, they will; but if you stand up for yourself, these bullies "backed off" I copped well wih bullies but am hopeless with the"smiling tigers" those that smile at you but stabbed you in the back...more lesson and training needed to deal with these, any advice???