Saturday, July 22, 2006

LETTING GO

As I looked at the varrious gifts scattered about in the house, warm feeling flooded my soul. Those gifts, may not worth much monetary-wise, were all given from the heart. Some staff from my old school called up asking my opinion on certain issues. It's nice to know that they value my opinion, but I shall refrain from interfering. We have to move on..... However, I can't help wondering how some of my teachers will fare. There is one particular teacher - talented, great ability to produce good work, yet his unpopularity is painfully obvious. He is what the Malays would term "berjiwa kecil" - small hearted. Always calculating what he would gain from this or that activity - how shall it advance himself. It's sad to see him trying to fit in with the rest of his peers. I noticed in the canteen, all the rest would be laughing and joking and when he joined them, the atmosphere would chill and one by one, each of the teacher would mumble an excuse and leave the table. I guess he did not realise that it is his 'acid tongue' that cause many to be uncomfortable with him. His jokes are stinging. There was one lady who liked to put on heavy make-up. The rest of the staff would tease her : "Hey, why so pink today?" Then our friend would come up with an unkind remark like : "You want a trowel to plaster your face-kah?" There was an awkward silence and someone would try to change the subject. Students prefer to fail his subjects rather than to ask him for explaination to difficult questions. Staff would try to wriggle out from being partnered with him in any projects. I have tried to point out to him that his jokes were too stinging. Any joke that belittles a person's physical or mental atrributes or put down a person's self-esteem is no a joke but sacarsm. I hope he will realise this before he finds himself totally isolated from his peers.
On the other hand, my heart warms at the remembrance of wonderful co-workers who are so giving and caring. Who would go the extra mile for the school. They are the backbone of the school. We could do with more teachers like Norafidah, Sefiah, Kenneth, Zuraidah, Norhaziah, Yee, Sofri, Alexander, Imelda... and many more like them. They don't belittle others, they speak kindly should they need to point out their peers' shortcomings. I too have learnt much from them. I realise our words are windows to our souls. We are what we speak. These are the people I have no hestation in recommending for any courses available in my new workplace. Thank you for your partnership.

No comments: