Alfred and I managed to slip in to BP for a weekend visit. My mum and dad were happy to see us. We had a great time savouring the best lontong and roti canai in town. Alfred had been a wonderful son-in-law. He spent quality time with my dad and patiently listened to the old man's stories. That was when we found out that my dad was actually involved in the Anti Japanese Movement.
He was actually recruited by the communist to sabotage the Japanese. The communist gave him a pistol that he hid in his boots. Wow!! Cloak and dagger man! That was news indeed. I was intrigued:
Me : Weren't you afraid?
Dad : Of course I was. But I had no choice either.
Alf : Didn't you join voluntarily?
Dad : No, the Communist came to me and asked me to report the movements of the Japs. Once I was stopped by the Japs at the border checkpoint. I had a small gun the Commie gave me tucked in my waist. Phew! The Japs did not do a body search that day.
Alf : How did you get out from the Commie.
Dad : They were moving away deeper into the jungle. They asked me to join them but I said I cannot. Anyway, they left.
Alf : Did you keep the gun?
Dad : Of course not. The Commie took back the gun. (laughter)
I remember my mum telling me that my dad was angry that the Japanese tortured my grandfather by using the "water treatment" (Read my earlier blog) and dad wanted to take revenge by joining the Communists but he was talked out of it. Well, apparently he did join! Now I understand why he was one of those young men rounded up by the Japanese to be beheaded. Old granny didn't know about his involvement and pleaded for his life.
Anyway, after the war, dad joined the MCA and had been its faithful party member since. He worked hard in the local council. My childhood memories had been one where people would often come to the house to seek my dad's help in dealing with the 'government authorities', and dad would graciously oblige, even putting aside his work to help (much to mum's chagrin). Dad is a man of few words, but this time, he is quite talkative. It's as if he knows his time is short and he wants to share his life with us. Well, we shall be going again this June for his 81st birthday.
He was actually recruited by the communist to sabotage the Japanese. The communist gave him a pistol that he hid in his boots. Wow!! Cloak and dagger man! That was news indeed. I was intrigued:
Me : Weren't you afraid?
Dad : Of course I was. But I had no choice either.
Alf : Didn't you join voluntarily?
Dad : No, the Communist came to me and asked me to report the movements of the Japs. Once I was stopped by the Japs at the border checkpoint. I had a small gun the Commie gave me tucked in my waist. Phew! The Japs did not do a body search that day.
Alf : How did you get out from the Commie.
Dad : They were moving away deeper into the jungle. They asked me to join them but I said I cannot. Anyway, they left.
Alf : Did you keep the gun?
Dad : Of course not. The Commie took back the gun. (laughter)
I remember my mum telling me that my dad was angry that the Japanese tortured my grandfather by using the "water treatment" (Read my earlier blog) and dad wanted to take revenge by joining the Communists but he was talked out of it. Well, apparently he did join! Now I understand why he was one of those young men rounded up by the Japanese to be beheaded. Old granny didn't know about his involvement and pleaded for his life.
Anyway, after the war, dad joined the MCA and had been its faithful party member since. He worked hard in the local council. My childhood memories had been one where people would often come to the house to seek my dad's help in dealing with the 'government authorities', and dad would graciously oblige, even putting aside his work to help (much to mum's chagrin). Dad is a man of few words, but this time, he is quite talkative. It's as if he knows his time is short and he wants to share his life with us. Well, we shall be going again this June for his 81st birthday.
1 comment:
Wow!!! War hero in the family... I feel like I belong to one of those classic Chinese novel families!
Post a Comment