I a settling down to the routine of my new position. There's a lot of reports to read as I need to know what has been done as regards to all the programs in the institute. The first two days were more of 'getting to know you' and most of the oral reports were glowing ones. It'll take some time for me to uncover anything, if there's anything to uncover. I made 5 speeches in 2 days, and that's quite a record. One to heads of department - setting policy and direction, one to academic staff- outlining my expectations and my modus operandi, one to support staff regarding my take on general orders and administration. Two closing of programs speeches.
The people here are very warm and hospitable. They were concerned that I am staying alone and urged me to take in some students to keep me company. The first night, my deputy could not sleep as he kept vigil outside my house. Poor man, caught a chill and was down with flu. Finally, to alleviate their anxiety, I got 2 girls to stay with me - Rebecca and Fatin. Will post their photos later. The college grounds is indeed beautifully maintained, thanks to the concerted effort of the staff. Every Friday, there's "Hari Bunga" which is our green day. The staff would gather and different groups would be assigned to several stations and they would carry out landscaping etc... This project won 3rd prize in the national innovative competition.
Being head of an institution can be a heady experience. It seems that my wish is their command. Should I mention causally that I like something, it would be sent to me within the hour. I commented that my quarters need some flowers/ plants to brighten the place, and presto, they've arranged for the gardener to send the flowers. I said, "Oh, the stove seems not functioning well, and the repairman was there the next hour. I mentioned last night ( on my way home - in the car) that we should be sending out Hari Raya cards. This morning, the cards were delivered to the house, all typed and chopped with my seal. They probably stayed up last night to complete the cards. I must be careful not to open my mouth too much!!
The people here are very warm and hospitable. They were concerned that I am staying alone and urged me to take in some students to keep me company. The first night, my deputy could not sleep as he kept vigil outside my house. Poor man, caught a chill and was down with flu. Finally, to alleviate their anxiety, I got 2 girls to stay with me - Rebecca and Fatin. Will post their photos later. The college grounds is indeed beautifully maintained, thanks to the concerted effort of the staff. Every Friday, there's "Hari Bunga" which is our green day. The staff would gather and different groups would be assigned to several stations and they would carry out landscaping etc... This project won 3rd prize in the national innovative competition.
Being head of an institution can be a heady experience. It seems that my wish is their command. Should I mention causally that I like something, it would be sent to me within the hour. I commented that my quarters need some flowers/ plants to brighten the place, and presto, they've arranged for the gardener to send the flowers. I said, "Oh, the stove seems not functioning well, and the repairman was there the next hour. I mentioned last night ( on my way home - in the car) that we should be sending out Hari Raya cards. This morning, the cards were delivered to the house, all typed and chopped with my seal. They probably stayed up last night to complete the cards. I must be careful not to open my mouth too much!!
1 comment:
This is better than having a magic lamp and genie!!!
Post a Comment