Sunday, June 06, 2010

RAIN MAN REVISITED

I blogged about this boy earlier : "RAIN MAN?" We are often fascinated by his photographic mind. At 3 - 4 years, he was able to read the Chinese papers and relate the words to the television programmes. Now that he's in kindergarten, his ability to focus and figure out numbers and words has not diminished.


A very discipline boy where homework is concerned. Upon reaching home, he would take out his books and proceeded to finish his 'homework'. We were amazed by the level of competency and the detailing the kindergarten required from these children.


He was able to name all the flags of the different states in Malaysia. No mean feat!!. We decided to test him. Hubby set him a spelling test. Presto !! He scored 100%

Though we are very fond of him, his quirky eating habits does pose an irritation. Nothing would induce him to take anything more than plain rice and a tiny slice of fish and a few strands of vegetables. Wonder how long he could last - especially when school require all students to participate in co curricular activities. In addition, he and his sisters are so underexposed to various activities. They don't have the excitement of going to a public library. They don't enjoy rides in the park. TV and now the computer are their only access to the world beyond the village.
I kept reminding myself :"Don't interfere - it's not your business." But at the same time, I feel it's such a waste of talent. This boy has all the potential but maybe underachieving due to his background.

2 comments:

Min said...

still it's great that you care :)

Penny152 said...

What to do? Blood is thicker than water and I do want them to succeed in life - just like I care for all my nieces and nephews