More than 10 years ago, hubby mooted the idea of making a trip to Israel, to walk the land that Jesus walked. I was rather lukewarm to the proposal. I felt it was pointless as the trip would be more of curiosity rather than spiritual. Besides, how would a trip add to my faith for "...Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see....." (Hebrew 11:1) and even Jesus said : " Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 21:29).
Anyway it was hubby's bucket list. There were many groups who had organized trips to Israel, but the right opportunity did not come to us. But early this year, hubby heard from a friend that Asia Pacific Seminary, was organizing a trip for her students. We happened to know the organizer, Dr. Stephen Tee. He contacted Dr. Tee, and arranged for 2 places. There was homework to do - we had to read the scriptures, we had to do some research about the Holy Land, we had to view videos on the Holy Land.
As the day of our trip drew near, I felt more excited about it. Finally on 27 May 2014, we find ourselves in Queen Alia International Airport, Jordan. Jordan is one of the gateways to Israel.
Jordan was one of the countries in the Middle East that was hostile to the formation of Israel. I remembered vividly the famous Six Day War (1967) when Jordan, together with Egypt, Syria and Iraq joined forces to attack Israel. Miraculously, Israel thrashed the 4 forces and annexed the Sinai Peninsula (from Egypt), the West Bank - also known as Judea and Samaria and retook Jerusalem (from Jordan), and Mt. Hermon and Golan Heights (from Syria). In 1992, Jordan signed a peace treaty with Israel and recovered some parts of the land it lost during the war. As a result, Jordan received a lot of technical aid and know how from Israel - especially in agriculture and water management. I am reminded of the verse : "I will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you will I curse." ( Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1977 - but it was an uneasy truce for the Jihadists opposed peace with Israel)
Jordan shared a close history with Israel. Indeed many of the Old Testament events took place in Jordan as well as Israel as there were no borders then and the peoples crisscrossed the lands as one. Prophet Samuel was buried somewhere in the hills of Jordan as well as Aaron (Moses' brother). Moses was believed to have died here in Mt. Nebo (although his body was never found). Lot took refuge in a cave here after the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah.
For all the rhetoric about Muslim-Christian conflict, we find that the people co-existed very well. We visited Madaba (city of mosaics), an ancient city that dates back to the Middle Bronze Age. Madaba was a Moabite city that was mentioned in Numbers 21 ; 30 and in Joshua 13:9. . There were many ancient churches here - still well preserved. We visited St. George Church in Madaba. It was here that the Arab Christians discovered a mosaic map of the Holy Land. Mr. Osama, our Jordanian tour guide was very informative about the history and geography of the ancient sites.
It was a hot day and everyone crowded round this drink vendor. He did a brisk trade.
I was intrigued by the baskets of nuts sold in one of the shops.
We climbed Mt. Nebo, the site where God showed Moses the 'Promised Land'- the land flowing with milk and honey (Numbers :13 & 14). As I stood and surveyed the land, the desolate dessert seemed to stretch for miles around. By no imagination could I visualize the 'milk and honey'. Thus it was by faith that Moses persuaded the Israelites to cross the Jordan river to the Promised Land.
As I reflected on God's promises, isn't it true that many times we do not take God at His word - just because we could not 'see' beyond our natural logic? I believe God's promises are true for all times. We need the step of faith to claim those promises.
No comments:
Post a Comment