Last week, dad and I attended a pastor's son's wedding. The pastor conducted our wedding years and years ago.... there were lots of teasings as the old timers met each other again. Weddings here are like that - you meet people you don't get to meet ever so often, then there's renewing of old bonds, old memories are stirred and everybody promised everybody " Oh, it's so good to see you again.We must catch up with each other more often.."
Anyway, at our table was dad's cousin. I had seen him once or twice before - his wife and mother were also at the wedding. This was the first time I met the wife and mother - The old lady had interesting stories to tell - of her early years in Kota Belud. When she told me her age - 82, I was amazed and blurted out "You're so lovely! I can't believe it". Indeed, she had such flawless complexion ! I hope I can look like that if I live to that age ( fat hopes). Throughout the meal, she was just holding my hands and so manja - when I took her to the ladies, she kept clinging to me - everybody stared at me. Even my mum isn't that manja with me !!
I'm glad dad keeps contacts with his cousins. He plays golf with one, and he tries to give him as many jobs as possible. Another cousin runs a motor spare parts shop - so he give good discounts to us. This other cousin is also very friendly. Sometimes he brings us monitor lizards. The outcome of the dinner was, dad promised to look him up the next time he goes to Kota Belud. He will take us to the ostrich farm, helps to get ostrich meat at special rate, get us hill rice and to the prawn farm.
I am glad my children have good relationships with their cousins. Though they don't get together as often as I would like them to, yet, each time when they meet, they're able to bond almost instantly. Nowadays, with such small families, cousins are like brothers and sisters. Like siblings, they may have different outlook on lives, have differentg opinions, may not always see eye to eye on certain issues - but they are still 'blood' relatives.
Anyway, at our table was dad's cousin. I had seen him once or twice before - his wife and mother were also at the wedding. This was the first time I met the wife and mother - The old lady had interesting stories to tell - of her early years in Kota Belud. When she told me her age - 82, I was amazed and blurted out "You're so lovely! I can't believe it". Indeed, she had such flawless complexion ! I hope I can look like that if I live to that age ( fat hopes). Throughout the meal, she was just holding my hands and so manja - when I took her to the ladies, she kept clinging to me - everybody stared at me. Even my mum isn't that manja with me !!
I'm glad dad keeps contacts with his cousins. He plays golf with one, and he tries to give him as many jobs as possible. Another cousin runs a motor spare parts shop - so he give good discounts to us. This other cousin is also very friendly. Sometimes he brings us monitor lizards. The outcome of the dinner was, dad promised to look him up the next time he goes to Kota Belud. He will take us to the ostrich farm, helps to get ostrich meat at special rate, get us hill rice and to the prawn farm.
I am glad my children have good relationships with their cousins. Though they don't get together as often as I would like them to, yet, each time when they meet, they're able to bond almost instantly. Nowadays, with such small families, cousins are like brothers and sisters. Like siblings, they may have different outlook on lives, have differentg opinions, may not always see eye to eye on certain issues - but they are still 'blood' relatives.
3 comments:
I am very out of touch with our cousins (on both sides). The cousin whom I am closest to is probably Yvonne. Paul is probably the best one among us in keeping ties with our cousins.
How about roast ostrich for our next Christmas dinner?
Roast ostrich ? sounds weird - but ostrich meat in ginger, ostrich burgers, stewed ostrich.....
Yes Paul, the friendly one... but do make an effort to keep in touch with your cousins every now and then. Even a simple " hello, what's up..."
Post a Comment