Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Japanese are Coming !

On Friday, our school received a delegation of Japanese visitors. The delegation was led by the ex-consul of Japan for Sabah. There were twenty others, mostly professors from various universities in Japan. Among the objectives was to visit a rural school in Sabah and share experiences with teachers and staff of the school.

There they were – men and women in their fifties, walking and looking with great curiosity at the buildings and surroundings. As it was on Friday, due to the long prayer break, the students always had some programmes lined up. Sometimes it would be a motivational talk, sometimes a forum, dramas or singing competition ( American Idol style). That Friday was patriotic songs competition and local dances. Our Japanese friends were fascinated by the dances. The mike malfunctioned during one of the songs…….. ah well, these things happen.

After that, I gave a briefing on the history of the school. The school started with only 36 pupils. It was an off-shoot of the primary school. The primary school was built before World War 2, and as I mouthed the words “World War 2”, I was suddenly struck by the irony of it all. Here I am, playing hosts to descendants of the former occupied forces. Do they know and are they aware of the atrocities committed by their forefathers? Memories of the stories my mother told me flashed through my mind. And as I looked at them, I was struck dumb momentarily. Our visitors thought I was searching for words to say. They smiled and nodded their heads encouraginly, smiled some more…… Arigato….

To cut matters short, I turned the delegation to my group of students and asked them to escort the visitors round the school and went on my unfinished business ( I was in the midst of dealing with a challenging discipline case).

Can we wipe out the past? The Japs are trying to do that by re-writing their history books – the period when they invaded South-East Asia is to be conveniently left out. Yet, they harp on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My paternal grand dad was tortured by the Japs – subject to ‘water-pipe treatment’. They would forced water into the stomach, using water hose, until the belly becomes swollen and then they would stomp on the tummy, to release the water. This process would be repeated until the victim weakens and succumbs to whatever they want. Dad was among the young men rounded up to be sent to Ayer Hitam to be beheaded. Grandma quickly brought 2 chickens and went to the Jap camp to beg for his release. As chickens were a scarcity then, dad was released. And so it came to past, that grandma constantly reminded him that his life was redeemed with 2 chickens.(anyone still want KFC?) Mum was about 8 when she was forced to watch an execution. Her aunt told her to close her eyes, but curiosity got better of her and she peeped. The victim, a Chinese scholar shouted defiantly, “Death to the Imperialists. Long live motherland!” Swoosh! Down came the sword and blood spurted from the victim’s neck as he was beheaded. It must have been traumatic. Maternal grand dad was killed immediately after the Japs surrendered. However, he was killed by looters who wanted to break into his shop. Mum sometimes murmured, “ I wish you had met your grandpa. He was such a wonderful and loving man.” (Sigh) I wish I had too……

God asks us to forgive those who do you wrong. Forgive as your Father in Heaven is forgiving. I guess it’s no point digging up the past and feel bitter and resentful but we should not forget the past. It should serve as a guide and reminder not to repeat the mistakes made. I suppose I must forgive them.. after all, I drive a Honda..he..he

2 comments:

Penny152 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alfred Lee said...

For the many innocent lives killed by the Japanese all over South East Asia and not forgetting the rape of Nanjing. The atomic bombs dropped by the US were rightfully justified. If not for the bombs, God knows how many they would keep on killing and killing and killing......