Sunday, September 25, 2005

PROMOTION DENIED

Just came back from the Principals’ Conference. Except for one, mostly boring and mindless papers were presented which had nothing to do with issues and problems faced in schools. But the majority seemed happy with the endless supply of rich food and fellowship. Most of them from the interior regions were happy to be out and away from the drudgery and hardship they had to deal with each day. These are the unsung heroes of the education department. I hope the department will be fair and rotate their postings after every 3 to 5 years.
M.Y. dropped a bombshell in her paper : “The Super Principal : Terms and Conditions” Apparently, more than 100 posts of Senior Principals has been created by the Ministry of Education and each state had been directed to submit 20% candidates to be considered for this promotion exercise. Every state had submitted more than 30 names. The criteria for consideration for promotion ? Among others, good governance ( no hanky panky with regards to financial matters) and good academic results. Sabah, given the allocation of 39 candidates, submitted only 3 names. There was a moment of silence upon hearing such news. You could hear a pin drop – and suddenly the hall burst with indignation and disbelief! What were the higher up in the ED been up to? Why were our names not submitted?
The 3 candidates were of course, all bumiputeras. We suspect that as the bulk of good SPM/STPM results were from mission schools, and the principals from these schools are mostly non-Bumi, somebody in ED is unwilling to see us get the promotions - thus our names were not submitted. In discriminating situations like these, can you blame us for feeling a little less patriotic? It is for reasons like these that I prefer my children to seek their fame and fortune outside of Malaysia ( my beloved country).
Dad, the ever wise, posed this question to me: “Do you want the promotion for the extra money the post can offer? Or do you want the status of being called Director or Deputy Director ? If it is for the money, do you feel you need the extra money that bad? If it’s for the status, are you prepared to leave your comfort zone and be located to a new place, just for a few years of glory?” After much reflection, I decided it’s not the money nor the status that I want – but justice must not be denied to the deserving. If I deserve the promotion, I should be offered, and it’s up to me to accept or refuse the promotion. At least I can get the satisfaction that my efforts has been acknowledged. PROMOTION DENIED IS JUSTICE DENIED !!

2 comments:

jenQker said...

cheer up mom. i feel you... nvm, when i get back i'll make my version of tomato base pasta. yum.

SunnyPerth said...

I am sorry you did not get the promotion,it is unfair and unjust. The recognition for excellence reward is just a tip on the iceberg for all your effort, I am so angry.Despite all this in our heart we know you are the champion,the champion on MT Everest!

I have at last succeded in getting my own blogspot,my own effort, hurray!