Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Clever Doctor

Dr. Melinda is a very clever doctor. I had consulted her over some whitish spots on my hands, thinking it was some kind of fungus infection. After examining my hand, she explained that somehow my body has lost some of its ability to produce pigments. The white patches were new skin, minus the pigments. “Strange,” she mused, “Normally this happens to those who have thyroid problems.” I informed her that I had thyroid problems years ago… “That explains it!” and she put me on some medication – I am happy to observe that the white spots are fading. Isn’t she clever?
Dr. M’s daughter, Rachael is a precocious girl. I can see the potential in her. Serious, dignified, excelling in everything she does – not your usual 11 year old. It’s a challenge to teach her in Sunday School – she does not accept pat answers. For example : When Dad, who liked to challenge young minds, posed the question – What do you think we will do in heaven ? 9 bright sparks chorused – “We Sing !” and nodded their heads wisely, R asked: “Do we have to sing in heaven all the time? Do nothing but sing? I don’t think I like heaven then.”
I remember R when she was only four. Serene was helping me in an object lesson – she played the role of a young lady getting ready for work. The children watched in fascination as S primed herself, then picked up her handbag and then to work… After the lesson, little Miss R came up to S and said: “Serene Jie Jie, you looked very nice. I like your handbag” After a pause, she continued, “When I grow up, I want to be just like you.” Oh, ok, Serene answered. Winnie, who was standing nearby, heard it and immediately gushed, “In that case, you must eat lots of rice and vegetable – then you’ll be tall and pretty like Serene Jie Jie. You do eat your vegy don’t you?” “I do, I like vegetables.” Came the reply. Then she surveyed Winnie from head to toe : “I guess Winnie Jie Jie, you didn’t eat YOUR VEGETABLES AND RICE when you were young then, huh?” You see, Winnie is one head shorter than Serene. Miss Smart has the last say !

2 comments:

jenQker said...

thyroid... i hear that alot from JM. now she is going on about testical infections etc.

hahha.... the winnie joke was a good one.

Serenely said...

I almost forgot all about that incident! Hehehe... Wini really walked right into that one. We had fun serving in children's ministry together as a family, didn't we?