Monday, July 10, 2006

NEW POSTING

I reported for duty at Gaya Teachers' Training Institute this morning. My carpark which was clearly labelled "Timbalan Pengarah" was taken. Hmm, that's not good - must do something about it. Met the Pengarah ( an old friend ) and she introduced me to the rest of the staff and briefed me on what portfolio I would specifically be in charge of - staff management, academic programmes, curriculum matters and the "ISO-fication" of the Institute's administration. Unfortunately she had to rush to the airport for a meeting in KL - whispering as she left - "You will have to go next time." Some Heads of Departments came and offerred to take me on a tour of the campus. There were some familiar faces - Mr George ( Serene's ex-teacher from her convent days), Rumba Pan - the Pan boys' mother (Paul's tennis kaki), some ex-teachers now turn lecturers.
This was the 5th time I changed my posting. The first time was when I was a fresh graduate, posted to a far-flung corner of Johor - in Mersing. I remember the staff waited eagerly for this new teacher who will ease their workload. I was given the worst of each form - Form 3 E, Form 4 D. Believe me - their countenances were as caricatured by Lat in "The Kampong Boy"!!
The second posting was to Sabah College. I was actually proised to La Salle but the Sabah College principal 'pinched' me away!. I remember reporting to the Officer at the 4th Floor of Federal Building, to get my placement of school. Brother Charles (the La Salle principal) stood outside the Officer's room. He was waiting there for his 'new teacher'. And when I walked out of the room with the letter directing me to report to Sabah College, he entered the room. Later on, I was told there was a commotion when he realised his 'new teacher' was taken. My principal later told me that he was roundly scolded by Bro. Charles!! You see, graduate teachers were a rarity then - i was the 41st grad teacher posted to Sabah!!
When I was posted to St. John's - on the first day, all teachers rushed out of the classroom to catch a glimpse of the 'new' and first ever lady pengetua for that school. I heard a wolf whistle.
When I went to St Mary's, my reputation as being 'sangat tegas' preceded me and people wondered what changes I would make......... time flies. This time is different - I am going in as No. 2 and I wonder what's it's like to work as no. 2

3 comments:

Serenely said...

I can't believe Mr George is still around (or Cikgu George as we used to call him)... I'm sure he would have edged his way through to say something nice to you...

Seems you were quite a trail blazer back in your day... thanks for sharing the story of your journey as a teacher to pengetua and now TIMBALAN PENGARAH!!! (don't play play ar!)

May your cup overflow... God is good!

Penny152 said...

He did!(smile) Mr Khoo Teck (Sam's ex-Penolong Kanan HEM from All Saints was there too. He was surprised when I mentioned that I knew he was from All Saints.

SunnyPerth said...

What is Timbalan Pengarah? It sounds very important. COngratulation?!