Saturday, March 17, 2007

HOPE OR DESPAIR ?

Yesterday mum reported that dad was very alert and talkative. He seemed cheerful after taking half a bowl of cereal, They've removed the feeding tube and he was happy to be able to taste the food. I was ecstatic. 

However today Alicia called and said dad suffered from another stroke last night. The doc also discovered a minor lump (cyst) under his armpit. I feel very, very despondent after hearing the news, especially as I am not able to be with them in such moments. My sisters have to handle all the bad news by themselves. 

People who are philosophical will wag 'wisely' : "Be realistic. He's after all 80 and that's a ripe old age." I hate those words !! 80 or 90, it doesn't matter. He my dad and one of my closest relative. He begot me and nurtured me and naturally, within me, my heart's torn at the thought of losing him eternally. There's such pain within me. I wish I could be there to hold his hand, to massage him ( he loved that), to comb his hair ( even at this age, he has a whole head of hair). I think most of all, it hurts me to see him lying there, being so helpless, unable to do simple things for himself. He had been such an active man before this. They are taking him home to hopefully recuperate. 

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. We can only pray for dad's recovery. Don't philosophize.

1 comment:

Ah Bou said...

Hi mom, hope everything is all and well at your family...hope you don't loose too much sleep over it...stay healthy...