Saturday, December 08, 2007

HOW NOT TO COURT A GIRL


There was an article in NST about the tourist town of Mersing. Mersing!! That was my first posting - a sleepy little fishing village where everyone knows practically everyone. I remember reporting for duty to the principal, a small-sized man ( He later rose to the ranks of Pengarah Bahagian Sekolah) and he was kind enough to help me get temporary accommodation : "Until you find some place better."

Well, words soon spread that a new teacher was in town when I enquired about the local church. Soon a group of young Christians came a-calling and they invited me to the Saturday Church service (Church was on Saturday as Sunday was a working day then). The young people forewarned me that there would be a group of local 'Casanovas' who would be in church to 'check out' the newcomer. Anyway some have successfully found their brides through this modus operandi! So the youngsters gallantly formed a barricade and prevented anyone from approaching me! This happened for a few weeks until the casanovas gave up.

However there was one persistent chap - local butcher who would come to church on and off. Having fancied himself as a very eligible bachelor (mind you - he has numerous pieces of rubber land!), he had set his sights higher. He scoffed at the local girls, and declared that he would marry no less than a nurse, a clerk or a teacher!! On and off I would see him trailing me on his motorbike. He gave up after he saw me with my 'boyfriend', but not without throwing a rubber seed at Mr. Alfred!! (Dad didn't know what hit him - but I knew when I saw the joker rode away in his red motorbike! Anyway, he was harmless, and I didn't want dad to be unduly worried) My housemates used to tease me each time we went marketing - "Go and buy from 'Mr. Butcher' - maybe you'll get free pork!!" Ha! Ha! Poor chap - I hope he found his nurse, clerk or teacher!!

( Pic above - a very young teacher with some of her brightest students. Teachers from left to right : Cik Norlina , Cik Lim, Puan Siti, Encik Tan [the Senior Assistant])

No comments: