Saturday, August 23, 2008

BEWARE OF GREEKS BEARING GIFTS

Now that it's a matter of days before I report for duty in my new post, there are a few things I need to refine - like how to say "No" graciously. I guess I must have hurt a few feelings when I rejected presents from a few well-wishers. However, I can't be blame for being suspicious. Like, when someone offered to get wine for me when he's going outstation. He's been there many times before but he never offered to get me wine, - until now. Of course I could say, "No, I don't drink wine." But that would be a lie. I should have said, "Thanks, but I really have so much wine in my cellar - must invite you for a sampling one of these days.." That sounds diplomatic right? It's not that people have not given me anything before - but the gifts were given in good faith, and no strings attached. Anyway, I always have a headache trying to figure out what to give back to reciprocrate.
Some of my future staff have popped in my office to say hello and to express their 'welcome'. That's nice. Meanwhile I have been busy studying the Financial Orders like mad. Having to handle millions is no piece of cake. I really need to know the financial procedures in order not be be hookwinked by any quarters. I am grateful for the 'Government General Orders'. But as life experiences tell me - sometimes there are gray areas. My prayer is - 'Lord give me the wisdom and discernment to differentiate the true from the false.'

No comments: