Books are the mainstay of my hobby. I always think with fondness for my third uncle who introduced me and my siblings to the wonderful world of books. When uncle graduated from teachers' training college, he was full of enthusiasm to 'improve his nieces and nephews' So he started a mini library in our home. He set a piggy bank and each of us would put in our spare pocket money in it. After about a month or so, we would count the money and then he would use the money to buy simple comic books. From comics, we graduated to more serious books. In school I would always have an Enid Blyton or Richard Crompton book in my bag.
However, the book that changed my direction in life was the biography of Abraham Lincoln : "Lincoln, the unknown". I was impressed by his tenacity against adversity.( At that time, I was undergoing deep unhappiness and anger about events in the home.) It led me to thinking about my situation and what inner strength I should muster to overcome the family situation. I was in Form 4 then. It was then that I began to take my studies more seriously.
Anyway, this habit of reading has not left me and nowadays I read mostly books on motivation and strategic management - although currently I am also amused by Bill Bryson's ramblings. There would be at least 3 books at any one time. ( current read : Prof. Kim : Blue Ocean Strategy; Peter Senge : The Fifth Discipline and John Maxwell : Go for Gold) One near my bed, one in office and one in my handbag - to read while travelling.
But the ONE book that stand out from my current reading is the Bible. Honestly, I'm paying more attention to it as a management guru. Am currently reading the book of Samuel. I'm amazed by the strategies that King David used to overcome his enemies and it's not just by the sword. It's how he motivated his men, dealt with his enemies and rewarded people who were loyal to him. What words he used, what actions he took. It also chronicled how his 'friends' betrayed him and how he won over his enemies. It's almost like Sun Tze's "Art of War". I learnt so much to deal with people - those who are loyal and supportive, those who pretend to be supportive and those who outright oppose me and my management style. Above all I Iearnt to trust God the way King David trusted Him. I can identify with King David when he prayed :
"It is the Lord who armed me with strength and make my ways perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on heights.
He trains my hand for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You give me your shield of victory; You stoop down to make me great.
You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn....."
(2 Samuel 22 : 33-37)
Anyway, this habit of reading has not left me and nowadays I read mostly books on motivation and strategic management - although currently I am also amused by Bill Bryson's ramblings. There would be at least 3 books at any one time. ( current read : Prof. Kim : Blue Ocean Strategy; Peter Senge : The Fifth Discipline and John Maxwell : Go for Gold) One near my bed, one in office and one in my handbag - to read while travelling.
But the ONE book that stand out from my current reading is the Bible. Honestly, I'm paying more attention to it as a management guru. Am currently reading the book of Samuel. I'm amazed by the strategies that King David used to overcome his enemies and it's not just by the sword. It's how he motivated his men, dealt with his enemies and rewarded people who were loyal to him. What words he used, what actions he took. It also chronicled how his 'friends' betrayed him and how he won over his enemies. It's almost like Sun Tze's "Art of War". I learnt so much to deal with people - those who are loyal and supportive, those who pretend to be supportive and those who outright oppose me and my management style. Above all I Iearnt to trust God the way King David trusted Him. I can identify with King David when he prayed :
"It is the Lord who armed me with strength and make my ways perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on heights.
He trains my hand for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You give me your shield of victory; You stoop down to make me great.
You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn....."
(2 Samuel 22 : 33-37)
2 comments:
you are so inspirational, mum... you have just spurred me to not forget going back to the Bible again and again to draw on thse truths
Oh hi, happy birthday!! tried to call you a few times but was always put on holding mode. Hope you have a great birthday celebration. Oh yes, reading the bible is my daily diet. So much to glean from it.
Post a Comment