Sunday, May 18, 2014

AN OLD TAVERN

On the way back to Perth, as we reached Ballingup town, Alicia decided to turn to an off road for lunch. We drove till we reached a quaint tavern - The Ballingup Tavern. Trip Adviser had mentioned that this tavern, besides beer, also served good pub food. It was my first - and one is never too old to experience new things. So we pulled up at a charming stone building.
One would expect taverns and pubs to be noisy, rowdy place, with loud music blasting. Oh no ! This tavern was a charming and quiet. Perhaps because it was a Sunday, perhaps because it was Mother's Day, perhaps because it was a wee too early for drinks for I see families congregate here. Children play around here (but not inside the pub itself).
The owner seemed more like a farmer than a publican, hah! So much for stereotype! Husband and wife were happy to pose with me. Alas! It was Mother's Day and the place was fully booked. And they only could serve buffet. The tavern proprietress was apologetic. "Come again another day - and we'll have a plate for you!"
So we had a picnic in the car. As I chewed my bagel, I notice some hairy fruits hanging from a tree. Upon closer look, the fruits were actually chestnuts! I've eaten chestnut, but it was the first time I saw fresh chestnuts from a tree. Another first for me! One is never too old to learn eh?
Just before our car turned off from the tavern, I caught my breath upon seeing such  an awesome view of the Ballingup hills. The colourful leaves of the trees contrasted against the almost bare hills and above the dark and white clouds form a dramatic landscape. Timelessness - It was as if God had freeze framed this scene for our enjoyment.

It had been a short but enjoyable trip down south. Good company and good food contributed to the memorable experience. Thanks Alicia for organising the trip and thank also to the faithful and dependable Cute Roving Vehicle (CRV) for making the drive such a comfortable one!

No comments: