Saturday, January 28, 2006

Two Funerals

After the funeral, we, together with friends and relatives adjourned to New Emperor Restaurant for lunch. As we ate and talked, I am struck by the 2 kinds of funerals that I attended. 

The first funeral was my grandfather’s. I was 12 then. It was an awesome affair. Grandfather died at home. The huge coffin was placed in the centre of the family hall and the house was decorated with streamers and huge banners. My parents, uncles and aunts were in sackcloth. We grandchildren wore blue. Taoist priests were employed to chant for 3 nights. The deceased’s children had to keep vigil and constantly burn paper money. Neighbours and friends lent their support and helped to keep vigil by playing mahjong! 

All of us were to crowd round the coffin and wail each time somebody came to pay their respects. I remember an old lady would order us : “Wail!” and we would dutifully wailed our hearts out. I got tired of the wailing and hid in one of the room to read my Enid Blyton and was caught by her. She gave me an earful of scolding, something about “Bo Hau Soon” Literally, no filial piety. So I had to dab ointment near my eyes – minyak kapak – in order to induce the tears to flow!!

As I reflected during my F-I-L’s funeral, as Christians, there are 3 occasions or milestones in your life when the whole church stands for you. One is when you are baptized, the church stands to affirm their support to help you grow in your faith. The second is when you walk down the aisle on your wedding, the church rejoices with you and you begin your new life as Mr and Mrs…..And finally, on your funeral, as your coffin is brought in, the church solemnly remembers your giftings and services you have rendered as the last sentence of the last chapter of your life is written. 

I feel sad as I reflect on I Thessalonians 4:13-18. Will my time with my family members who have not known the Lord be ended when their time end?

1 comment:

SunnyPerth said...

Check up blogspot mamalim152-YK's new blogspot!