Wednesday, July 16, 2008

TOURS - A SUPERFICIAL VIEW

When I think of all the holiday tours that our family took, I must say that they really didn't tell us much about the countries we visited. To know a place you really need to spend time exploring the nooks and corners. The last few days pounding the streets of Sydney, I must say I got to know the city a bit better. My first visit 14 years ago made little impression on me, except to say, "Oh yes, I've been there." The tour guide took us to Sydney Opera House -"OK, you have half an hour to take some photos...". then we were whisked to Blue Mountains, spent about 2 hours there and off we went to another destination. But this visit has made me appreciate ( not necessary liking) the city better. Sydney is truly vibrant - I enjoyed window-shopping, browsing in bookstores and antiques shops, comparing the fresh produce of the market, eating in unfamiliar places, trying out the different public transport, and feeling the pulse of the city.

Waiting for the train to Blue Mountains

Waiting for the bus/trolley to take us round the village in Blue Mountain. I enjoyed exploring the countryside.

Window shopping in Queen Victoria Place - items were pricey

Chinatown - I think I have visited this place more than 5 times this trip!
At the end of the day, my feet were aching, to the point of splitting - but the experience was worth it!


No comments: