We just return from Eunice's funeral. I usually try to avoid funerals as they are depressing events (so most of the time dad went). However, Eunice was a dear person and we were involved in the prayer chain when we were told she had cancer. I still remember her, a fresh-faced graduate when she first joined our church. Dad welcomed her and introduced her to the Young Adults' Fellowship. There she met and married George and they had 2 lovely children.
Eunice always has a smile for everyone. She seems to carry a bit of sunshine with her wherever she goes. Thus we were all saddened by her demise. Was it untimely? She was only 40 years old. But during the eulogy, as friends and family shared their thoughts about her, I realised that in the short span of life, she had touched so many people. She had had a full life.
Thus it's not the length of years that you lived that matters, but the quality of those years that God portioned for you. For as the Psalmist said, "All the days ordained for me were written in your book..." (PS 139:16). It is a reminder to me to live a more significant life. To live, to love, to forgive. Show kindness and compassion. Don't dwell in petty issues. Don't sweat the small stuff.
When I think of my faith, and how hard it is for people to accept this simple truth of salvation, I appreciate how precious is this miracle for me!!
Eunice always has a smile for everyone. She seems to carry a bit of sunshine with her wherever she goes. Thus we were all saddened by her demise. Was it untimely? She was only 40 years old. But during the eulogy, as friends and family shared their thoughts about her, I realised that in the short span of life, she had touched so many people. She had had a full life.
Thus it's not the length of years that you lived that matters, but the quality of those years that God portioned for you. For as the Psalmist said, "All the days ordained for me were written in your book..." (PS 139:16). It is a reminder to me to live a more significant life. To live, to love, to forgive. Show kindness and compassion. Don't dwell in petty issues. Don't sweat the small stuff.
When I think of my faith, and how hard it is for people to accept this simple truth of salvation, I appreciate how precious is this miracle for me!!
No comments:
Post a Comment