Saturday, December 06, 2008

FEROCIOUSLY JEALOUS DOGS

When we returned from our holidays, the dogs were excitedly happy to see us and of course Toto received the lion's share of the attention and affection. I find it irritating sometimes when they all clamour around me and jostle for attention. Many a time I almost stumble as they get in the way. This evening there was a dog fight between Buddy and Sydney. We were puzzled and they were formerly the best of friends. They often sneaked out of the garden and went galavanting round the neighbourhood together. Often, they would gang up and attack our neighbour's dog - if it ever dared to walk too near our gates!!
Today we just made a startling discovery. Dogs are ferociously jealous animals. It all started when Sydney jostled for more attention. Buddy was very annoyed and snarled at him. Sydney retaliated and a fight ensued. The maid and I separated them. Sydney seemed remorseful and submit his apologies ( by cowering before Buddy). Buddy was not so easily appeased and kept barking (scolding) Sydney. Finally Sydney went and hid under the car. I had to keep on stroking Buddy till he calmed down. Then at dinner time, Sydney and Buddy were at the kitchen door. I just patted Sydney's head as I walked past him. Then I heard a growl from behind and suddenly Buddy lunged at Sydney. There was a tussle between the two of them (with Toto hovering nearby). I managed to separate the two of them. After scolding them, they made peace. All seemed well until late evening. We were at the car porch, preparing to go out for 'Bak Kut Teh" dinner. Sydney edged near to me. Immediately Buddy came and blocked him, growling as if to say, "Nobody, I say, Nobody gets near the mistress except ME!!" Sydney slinked away but Buddy went menacingly towards him ( Toto yapping nearby). A bloody fight ensued and this time, dad and Paul has to help to chain them up. So now, they are at their separate stations.

Poor Sydney, the 'underdog' recovering from his frightful encounter with Buddy. Toto tried to console him. I have seen a dog so dispirited. Kesian betul!

Buddy, all bloody but still defiant and unyeilding. He's the older of the two and he's fighting to defend his dominant position in the house. Garang betul!! Talk of jealousy. Dogs are worse than humans!! ( And now I dare not show my affection to Sydney openly - lest he perish)

4 comments:

Serenely said...

Toto (or Tutu?) is so sweet and kind... sayang the underdog. How come he has not become a victim of Buddy's jealous nature?

Alfred Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alfred Lee said...

I think he is still being looked at as a "kid" by the seniors and not as an adult threat yet !

Penny152 said...

This seems a deja vu. I remember the time Buddy tried to challenge Jojo and was roundly punished by the latter. But Buddy refused to yield (unlike Sydney)and finally defeated Jojo. Aiyah, one of them has to go. Can't have them at each other's throat.