Friday, March 24, 2006

HOW DO YOU CARE?

When the children were in Senior High School, Dad and I posed this question to them :
“When we are dead and gone, and one of your siblings is in financial difficulty, would you promise to extend your help to them? Even if your partner does not favour it?”
I smile as I recalled the varied and interesting responses (in no particular order) :

Response 1 : Of course I would help them. They are my family and family help each other out. (Looks at me seriously and earnestly)

Response 2 : You are asking a difficult question. It all depends. If one spends the money foolishly or irresponsibly,( like gambling or drinking) do you expect me to help them? If not, most likely I will help out. (Frown)

Response 3 : (Pause). I can’t promise you. How do I know whether I could extend the help or not ? I don’t know my financial situation. What if I were equally poor? If I say yes, I would feel guilty if I were not able to do it. Do I need to borrow money to help them out? ( slight tears)

I have often pondered over those responses. I hope the day will not come when their responses need to be tested. Each one of you are responsible for your own lives and fortunes. You would be probably living different lifestyles and that is fine with me. However, it would pain my heart if the fabric of family cohesiveness is to be broken due to money matters.

1 comment:

Penny152 said...

You speak from the heart of a mother. Poor kids - they think that we expect them to bring their siblings to exactly the same lifestyle. We just want them to be there for each other and look out for each other, support each other in times of crisis. Not just be engrossed in themselves only. Familly ties are so important, yet fragile. We should learn not to take offence over small issues.