I am constantly amazed at the nochalant way some people make promises. My understanding is promises are meant to be kept. This was impressed upon me by my parents over and over again. My parents, though not highly educated, are people of integrity. They always say what they mean and meant what they say. I am a product of this upbringing. Yet, sad to say, many of this new generation of young people I am in contact with, do not seem to show much of this value. They can make promises upon promises and yet make excuses ( lame ones) when they don't keep those promises.
I am reminded of this one incident ( there were many more) when a certain boy borrowed an amplifier from my son, promising to return the following Sunday. Two Sundays passed and the promise was conveniently forgotten. Son went back to Australia. We were busy with Sunday school and hence did not attend main service for a month. Silence. Finally, two weeks ago, I asked him about the AM. "Oh yes, auntie, I promise to bring it to your house this evening" Nothing happened, and a week passed by. Met him again in church, "Oh yes, auntie, I meant to bring it today. Promise to bring it to your house today." With such earnest look on his face. Still nothing. I wonder where the item is still in good working order. Is he stalling for time? I dislike people who are not forthright and upfront. It is true, as Arthur Katz, the Jewish man said, there is a decline in moral fibre among God's people today. A matter of upbringing? The bible is right "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" if you know what some people are like. Hmmm. Sometimes we must learn to say NO graciously to some people.
I am reminded of this one incident ( there were many more) when a certain boy borrowed an amplifier from my son, promising to return the following Sunday. Two Sundays passed and the promise was conveniently forgotten. Son went back to Australia. We were busy with Sunday school and hence did not attend main service for a month. Silence. Finally, two weeks ago, I asked him about the AM. "Oh yes, auntie, I promise to bring it to your house this evening" Nothing happened, and a week passed by. Met him again in church, "Oh yes, auntie, I meant to bring it today. Promise to bring it to your house today." With such earnest look on his face. Still nothing. I wonder where the item is still in good working order. Is he stalling for time? I dislike people who are not forthright and upfront. It is true, as Arthur Katz, the Jewish man said, there is a decline in moral fibre among God's people today. A matter of upbringing? The bible is right "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" if you know what some people are like. Hmmm. Sometimes we must learn to say NO graciously to some people.
No comments:
Post a Comment